July 23, 2008

This Oughta Be A Lulu

Where to begin... I'm probably the last person on this planet to be blogging. Married, children, work, church, etc. So where am I going to find the time to now blog? I guess I'll just worry about that later as it doesn't seem to be stopping anyone else!

For starters, the name. Anyone who has seen me blog will know I previously went under the guise of 'Richpo the Magnificent.' Richpo comes from my college days. It was something that someone came up for adding the suffix 'po' to the end of our names (do not ask me why nor how it has still stuck for so many years and no, I was not the one who came up with it). And since 'Rich the Magnificent' didn't sound enough like a clown, I used Richpo.

It began with the four of us who shared a town house in our last two years of college. Three of us were computer engineers and the odd man out was a microelectronics engineer. So I guess the 'po' thing was our cliquish way of male bonding. It worked pretty well except for our one roommate named Al. When addressed as 'Alpo' he would either respond with "Yo!" (when in a good mood) or "I am NOT dog food!" (when in a foul mood).

As for the 'Magnificent' part, well, anyone who knows me well knows that I am anything but magnificent so I was just having fun with words. I am about as plain, boring and conservative as you get. In fact some might say even dull (I believe my wife thinks of me as "dependable.") That's the way I like things and therefor explains the way I am so just deal with it the best you can. But now that my family is in a new church and the people there don't know me very well (count your blessings), I figured I'd better change the 'Magnificent' to 'Unmagnificent' for now. Once they know me better (God help them to retain their sanity) I might change it back.

Overall I'm not very interesting. What I like is kind of summed up by viewing my Profile page for my blogger ID. You can read up on me there if, for some reason, you mange to somehow sink to that level of boredom. A big passion in my life is keeping up with what's going on in the world and how it all relates to what God has given us in His Word. I maintain a "web site" that posts daily news summaries to issues I feel are important to Christians. It is made available to friends, family and various Christian ministries to help them in their work as they see fit. While I will post on things as I come across them, I figure that most of what gets put here will be a reflection of the news items I run across that I feel deserve extra mention and/or discussion.

Theologically speaking I am conservative as well. Some who are more liberal minded might even label me "fundamentalist." Whatever. If you know the teachings of men like John MacArthur, R.C. Sproul, John Piper, C.J. Mahaney, Charles Spurgeon, Jonathan Edwards, J.C. Ryle, etc. then you will know where I'm coming from. In short, I would classify myself as Reformed evangelical. To know anything else, simply read all of Grudem's Systematic Theology and you'll know right where I'm at (except for Grudem's non-cessationist view that I simply can't swallow ;-).

Since I plan to use this blog as a Christian platform for 1) turning the spotlight on issues that I feel deserve attention and, 2) discussing topics to help ensure that all of us are approaching them in thought, word and deed from the viewpoint of God's Word, it ought to at the very least cut down on the number of e-mails I tend to send out which probably bother my friends and family to no end (I believe most of them wish I would crawl back under my rock and leave them to live in their world viewed through rose-colored glasses! And sometimes I'm surprised that one of them hasn't reported me for alleged spamming ;-)

Are we perfect? Certainly not. Should we want to be perfect (in the sight of our Lord and Savior)? Most definitely! Hopefully we'll have some great discussions, learn something about God and each other along the way which, I hope, shall help us all keep our feet on the path which brings glory to our God and prepares us to enjoy Him forever.

Let the experiment begin! And, of course, Soli Deo Gloria!!!

7 comments:

Lydia said...

WhooHoo- welcome to the blogger world! Can I link to ya, huh huh?

Richpo the Unmagnificent said...

I'm not so sure how a Reformed evangelical Christian should respond to a gypsy just yet.

Lydia said...

Silly. Are you inviting people to look at your blog yet. I told Mom- she wants to know if she's invited.

Richpo the Unmagnificent said...

Inviting? No. Seems kind of presumptuous to me. I figure it will slowly spread and catch on over time via word of mouth (keyboard?. Open to anyone and everyone up until it attracts trolls and then I might have to have it moderated and/or private. That is, if this little experiment lasts for more than 3 weeks.

Dave Mincy said...

I don't know how you'll find the time either to do this, but if you write it, I'll read it...!

Richpo the Unmagnificent said...

Thanks for stopping by, Dave!

Steve Pabody said...

echoing Dave,
You write it, I'll read it.... eventually. (as evidenced by 2 week lag time it took my to follow the link you originally sent me!)