November 14, 2008

Atheism Outreach Crosses the Pond

What started out as a whim over in the UK:
All aboard the atheist bus campaign

An Unbelievable Challenge -- A Look At Atheist Public Relations

Atheist Posters Are ‘Great Adverts For Christianity’, Says Think Tank
has now made its way onto U.S. soil:
God, Humbug: Humanist Holiday Ads Say Just Be Good

Billboard: "Don't Believe In God? - You Are Not Alone."
What are your thoughts? Would you honestly be able to speak intelligently about how to reasonably argue for the existence of God? Why His existence is crucial for a proper understanding of life? What about crafting the argument to lift up the God of the Bible over the gods of Islam, Mormonism, Hinduism or ...? What about it being an excellent opportunity to transition this spiritual conversation into the area of evangelism to show what man's true problem is and why Jesus Christ is the only answer?

UPDATE: Another article from the Wall Street Journal:
Atheists Reach Out -- Just Don't Call It Proselytizing

2 comments:

Kim said...

You touch on something that has been an ongoing struggle for me. Given the time to prepare and make sure my words are right, I do just fine.

Put me on the spot. Ask me something when my pride is on the line or when I fear the response and it becomes much more difficult.

Thanks for your insight regarding the FIM. I hope this discussion does spark a concern for more truth in teaching what scripture says and *does not* say about the subject.

I e-mailed your bride about posting it, and then scheduled the post to run this morning without ever checking back with her!

Richpo the Unmagnificent said...

"Put me on the spot. Ask me something when my pride is on the line or when I fear the response and it becomes much more difficult."

You sound just like the rest of us then! ;-) I'm comforted (no pun intended) by the fact that Ray Comfort says he still is afraid to witness and open-air preach (something he has done thousands of times) but he takes comfort from the words of Paul that he is in good company:

And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power [1Co 2:3-4 ESV]

which ties directly into what Paul says in Ephesians:

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. [Eph 6:12 ESV]